Did I say cocaine? I meant jet fuel. Or, just like a crap ton of energy. I talk about keto quite a bit on instagram, but I wanted to share exactly what it feels like to be keto adapted, because it makes me want to shout from the rooftops:
BITCH I AM ALIVE AND HERE TO CONQUERRRRRRRR!!!!!
Yeah, I know that was a bit much. But seriously, keto is my jam. Not only because it burns the fat right off my body, but because the energy I get from being in this metabolic state is unreal. So let’s dig in. (BUT, remember I did a HUGE post on why KETO is amazing for fat loss, here.)
Terms to know (feel free to skip ahead if science and learning is not your shtick.)
What is a keto diet?
Keto is a way of eating which aims to induce nutritional ketosis (a metabolic state where you burn fats instead of sugar) by restricting carbohydrate intake and balancing daily amounts of fat and protein.
A Ketogenic diet is NOT a high protein diet It is a high fat, low carb moderate protein diet.
Keto adapted means:
- You can oxidize and use both dietary and stored fat for energy. Fat is now more likely to be used for energy than stored in fat cells.
- You are not dependent on Insulin and the presence of Glucose for energy. This means that your blood sugar levels will not go up and down like a roller-coaster but will remain even. << This is MONEY. This means your body is not being fooled by Insulin, and you will likely absorb nutrients more efficiently, burn fat more efficiently and just FEEL BETTER.
- Even blood glucose and large amounts of energy resources available (pounds of fatty acids vs minimal grams of glycogen) mean no hunger and no reactive hypoglycemia! (TRUST. YOU WANT TO BURN THE FATTY ACIDS.)
- You will be able to exercise in a fasted state. (You do not need to eat before a workout, you will be just fine.)
- You will be able to go long periods without eating and still feel great, reducing your dependence on readily available processed foods. (I find I really only need like two meals a day, and a fat bomb or two.)
- You will become Leptin Sensitive again! (A high carb diet leads to resistance to the satiety hormone Leptin, causing to never experience a feeling of having eaten enough. Leptin not working correctly in your body = fat gain.)
- A ketogenic diet has shown to improve triglyceride levels and cholesterol levels most associated with arterial buildup. Meaning, you eat bacon and your cholesterol actually improves. Yeah. I KNOW!
But, BUTT, BUTTTTT! I cannot stress enough, the quality of foods and MEAT you eat are so so important. Don’t just head to McDonald’s and ask them to lettuce wrap that shit for a month. Eat meat and dairy from HEALTHY HAPPY ANIMALS for a HEALTHY HAPPY YOU.
Nutritional Ketosis VS Ketoacidosis:
When a type 1 diabetic suffers a stressful event or fails to administer enough insulin they may suffer the pathological condition ketoacidosis. Liver cells increase metabolism of fatty acids into ketones in an attempt to supply energy to peripheral cells, which are unable to transport glucose in the absence of insulin. The resulting very high levels of blood glucose and ketone bodies lower the pH of the blood and trigger the kidneys to attempt to excrete the glucose and ketones. Osmotic diuresis of glucose will cause further removal of water and electrolytes from the blood resulting in potentially fatal dehydration, tachycardia and hypotension.
If you want to learn more about keto and really nerd yourself out, read this FAQ from the Nourished Caveman
Why I Love being Keto Adapted
Feel educated enough to move on? Great. So I just had a baby six weeks ago, started eating a keto diet two weeks ago and became fully keto adapted I would say like after a week and a half. I got myself into ketosis on day four of the new diet, but really did not start feeling the energy, the weight loss, the mental clarity until a few days ago. This is where the keto money is made. Energy + alertness. It really is difficult to explain if you’ve never been there. I have only smoked the marihoochi in my life, no other drugs, but I imagine maybe a drug would give you this enlightened state of awareness and the need to move.
I saw my good friend Gina at the gym the other day, and I think she thought I was batshit crazy. I was literally bouncing off the walls AFTER my ridiculously difficult and sweaty workout talking to her. She is also seven months pregnant, so probably could have scissor kicked me in the face for my energy. I love her.
The point is: keto makes me feel the very best. I eat well 355 days a year, give or take, but when my body is using fat for energy instead of sugar, my life just feels so good. I feel leaner (which let’s be honest, we bitches wanna feel lean), I feel like I can workout even more intensely, and I enjoy all of my food. Fat is delicious. Bacon? Butter? Greens? Repeat? Shut the fuck up. In! (Insert blonde girl hair flip emoji)
That is basically all I got for you today… make these fat bombs and eat all of the things.
Things that help me get into ketosis
Treats and this ice cream that I make!
Ketostix – I have had a lot of trouble finding these in drug stores lately, so I get them from my favorite, Amazon. PS Once you become keto adapted, the presence of ketone bodies in your urine becomes less and less, so eventually they may not work even a little bit.
x to the ohhhh,